Planning For Your Loved Ones and Your Assets
- If something unexpected were to happen to you, what would happen to the people you love, your assets, everything else that you care about? Or to you?
- Did you know that, if you have an estate plan and it’s out of date, your assets could be lost to the State of Texas’ Unclaimed Property Division, or to a court process that’s not needed?
- Most people don’t realize that if you don’t have an estate plan, the State of Texas has a plan for you. Problem is, it’s probably not a plan that you would care to have…or to leave for the people you love.
- If you don’t know the answers to these questions, we encourage you to find out exactly what would occur, both legally and financially, so that you can decide if your current plan (or lack of one) is good with you.
How Do We Help You With Estate Planning?
During your initial meeting with one of our attorneys (we call this a Family Wealth Planning Session), we’ll spend time getting to know you and what’s important to you. We’ll make sure we understand your goals and objectives, and we’ll educate you about what would happen if something were to happen to you today. For some individuals or families who meet with us, their current plan is what we call the State’s plan. That means there is no written plan in place.
Other folks who come to us have an existing plan, but they’re not sure whether it does what they want…or they know for sure it’s outdated and needs to be brought current. Either way, we’ll review the current plan in detail, and you’ll get informed about what your current plan does and what you might want to change about it. Before your Family Wealth Planning Session, we will ask you to complete a Personal Resource Map (“PRM” or “homework”), which will help you to get clear about what you own and what you have to think about when it comes to estate planning. It also helps the attorney you’ll be meeting with to be fully prepared to meet with you and make the best use of your time in our office.
The foundation of an estate plan will sometimes include a revocable living trust; you transfer title of your property into this trust for your benefit while you are still alive. One of the benefits of having a living trust is that, when done correctly and properly maintained, your estate plan should help your family to avoid the cost, hassle, and time spent going through the probate process. It can also help to minimize estate taxes, or to eliminate them altogether.
For people with other needs, we can also provide more advanced estate planning services.
Can I do My Estate Plan Online?
Unfortunately, most DIY plans don’t work because much of what passes for estate planning is little more than word processing. You are asked a few questions and then the drafter decides which “plan” is right for you, and fits you into a template. This is not estate planning; it is little more than a “search and replace” of your family’s name and then a hit of the “print” button which spits out form documents.
The Kids Protection Plan
A Kids Protection Plan is a set of instructions, legal documents and even an ID card for your wallet, which you need to have if you have kids at home who count on you for their well-being and care.
If you are in an accident, your Kids Protection Plan will make sure your children are never taken into the custody of Child Protective Services, strangers or the care of anyone you wouldn’t want because the authorities don’t have clear instructions from you. And your Kids Protection Plan will ensure your children are raised by people you choose, not someone chosen by a judge who doesn’t know you.
Undecided? That’s fine.
It’s normal to be a little uneasy about estate planning. Many of our happiest clients started just where you are right now. But, when they read the best selling book on estate planning for families, Wear Clean Underwear (I know, it’s a funny name, right?) they felt more at ease, educated and informed. I would love to send you a copy of this book for free, as my gift to you for considering working with me.
Wear Clean Underwear: A Fast, Fun, Friendly – and Essential – Guide to Planning for Busy Families.
It’s called Wear Clean Underwear because your mom always told you to wear clean underwear in case you were in an accident, but once you are a parent, there are important legal planning steps you need to take as well. By the way, the book gets 4.4 stars on Amazon.
Client Care Program
Our Client Care Program Membership includes –
- Complimentary Deeds or Refinance Packages
- Loyalty Discount Toward Other Future Legal Services
- Complimentary Secure Online Client Vault for Documents
- Complimentary 3-Year Refresh of Financial Power of Attorney
- Complimentary Living Documents Package for College-Aged Children Through Age 24
- Complimentary Review of Your Plan Every Year + 20-25% (Typically) Discount Off Routine Updates & Amendments
(For our existing Estate Planning clients, free for the first year)
At Davidek Law Firm, PLLC, we will educate you and take the time to get to know you, your family, your concerns, your goals and your issues. We will also gladly and patiently answer all your questions to develop a customized estate plan just for you and your loved ones.
“From the moment I walked in the door I felt like your firm truly cared about my estate planning and doing what was right based on my needs. You were thorough and made sure we were happy every time we walked out the door. You far exceeded my expectations and I would highly recommend you to everyone.”ANDREA H.